Happy book birthday to Black Blade of the Demon King.
It’s been some time in the making.
Wind Lothamer began with the art in May 2016. By that November I had written the 24 NPCs (in much the same form they are in now). I playtested it that fall, then again on Free RPG day in 2017, and then again in the autumn of 2017. Since then, we’ve been polishing and expanding it.
The Black Blade of the Demon King is my best RPG writing and some of Wind’s best art ever too.
Black Blade of the Demon King is an adventure like no other for Lamentations of the Flame Princess or whatever flavor of OSR game you prefer. It’s a metal-and-Moorcock inspired sword and sorcery saga replete with fell blades, sad vikings, obsidian gnomes, and the end of the world!
Buried for 10000 years beneath a mountain of black obsidian, a sword of unfathomable power has just awakened. Now, in a desperate race against time and the elements you must try to reach it before its former master returns from his astral prison.
- Unique cinematic three act structure.
- A modular adventure with randomly determined NPCs that populate the world.
- Race against time and other Seekers of the Blade.
- Face ever-smiling cultists, beastmen, and maybe even a Yeti Voltron.
- Setting of “fantasy Greenland” can be slotted into most campaigns.
- Original monsters—no orcs, goblins or dragons here.
- Two dozen unique, illustrated NPCs for use in any adventure.
- A score of new creatures with hitherto unseen powers.
We made a playlist too. Let us know what you think!